Grafting Goji berry on a hardy rootstock

[ Facebook comments]

Moderator: bernard

Grafting Goji berry on a hardy rootstock

PostAuthor: Agronomist Ariel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi all
I am an Israeli agronomist, BScAgr, MScAgr growing on a small scale Goji berries.
I specialize with rare exotic fruits and apply the doctrine of acclimation of such fruits to the Goji berry.

The first question with exotics is can we graft it on related species or subspecies? and what are the benefits?

As the red Goji berry will fruit in the second or third year - as it depends on the jeuvenility period- grafting may provide fruits on the first year.

Normally we use rootstocks as to adapt a certain clone to soil problems (pH, aeration), water problems (salinity), nematodes, and soil diseases as Fusarium, Pytium, Phythopthora etc

The issues of viruses and mycoplasma were not researchedon Goji berries but aphids were observed and may be more Solanaceae pests will feed on it. Thus growing issues will arise and tolerant rootstocks may provide some resistance.

I recommend that some trials should be made with rootstocks selected from related species or adapted types

May I warn all - that using the technique of propagation by cuttings has many advantages but also disadvantages: a virus may be transmitted to all cuttings and the all plantation might be infected.
In many plants - the root system of a plant produced by acutting is different from that of a seedling and is more prone to infections by fungii and falling aside.

I will appreciated comments.

Agronomist Ariel

Agronomist Ariel
Membru Nou
Membru Nou

Cash on hand: 973.82

WARNING

This thread has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and/or logged in to view this response.

Register or Login

Membrii inregistrati, va rugam sa folositi butonul POSTREPLY (RASPUNS) de mai sus, pentru a adauga un raspuns, pentru ca acesta este salvat in baza de date a forumului si astfel textele vor fi incluse in cautari la Search, Posturi Recente, etc. si face urmarirea posturilor si raspunsurilor mult mai usoara, deoarece sunt deja categorizate pe baza topicelor, pe cand comment-urile Facebook se pot cauta numai pe FB.. Multumim!

Vizitatori, ce nu au un cont inregistrat, folositi comment-urile Facebook de mai jos, dar recomandam sa va inregistrati si sa deveniti un membru al comunitatii noastre !

leave a comment

Return to English language forum